Pain Care Yoga Certificate Course
Building support for high-quality pain care in our communities and collaboration among like-minded practitioners
Designed especially for:
- health professionals
- yoga therapists
- yoga teachers
- movement professionals
3 days / 24 contact hours; 8 hours daily
Focus: Enhancing foundational knowledge and shifting paradigms of pain, people living in pain, and pain care; in-depth integration of pain science
Students gain insights into innovative pain self-management techniques based on best evidence, and yoga therapy practices and a solid foundation in pain mechanisms and yoga philosophy related to pain / pain management.
Daily yoga practices help bring integration of Pain Care Yoga principles into students’ clinical or therapeutic practices.
PCYCC students will:
- gain knowledge about current pain science, basic neurobiology, and relevant anatomy, biology, physiology, and psychology
- explore how pain impacts every aspect of existence
- learn how to use each aspect of our existence to increase evidence of safety
- learn how “moving with ease” can be used as both a pain education tool and for pain control itself
- learn yoga therapy skills / techniques for people living with persisting pain
- create case study reviews / treatment plans
Part 1 was formerly called Pain Care Yoga Workshop
3 days /18 contact hours; 6 contact hours daily
Focus: Experiential learning
Please note: In Part 2 each registrant brings a person living in pain to attend with them and then continues to work with this person as their case study for Part 3. Submission of a written, individualized pain care plan for the guest is required prior to the end of Part 2.
Guests share information about their pain and responses to the techniques and information at the end of each day. No yoga experience is required.
For those travelling to the Part 2 workshop, a course organizer will advertise in the local community for individuals interested in attending and being involved in a case study process.
Students and guests are guided through gentle movement and contemplative practices. The roles of these techniques in effective pain care planning are discussed, along with views from science and yoga related to their importance in decreasing pain, gaining more ease of movement, and living well.
PCYCC students will:
- gain experiential learning of the techniques of pain care through mindfulness and yoga
- build a personal self-care practice
- listen to the experiences of people with persistent pain
- practice and discuss pain care techniques
- participate in group mentorship
- participate in 3 days of safe, effective practices to decrease pain and improve wellness
- explore modern science-based views on chronic pain
- discover empowerment through practical tools to improve ease of movement
- learn healing yoga techniques designed to wind down the nervous system and promote positive, lasting changes in the body
Completion of Part 2 = certification as a Pain Care Yoga Facilitator; entitled to teach Pain Care Yoga and Overcome Pain Gentle Yoga classes and workshops to the public.
Part 2 was formerly called Overcome Pain Gentle Yoga Workshop
Mini-mentorship / Home Study
Focus: integration of pain science with principles and techniques of yoga
Registrants submit a copy of the individualized pain care plan they shared with their guest in Part 2, plus evaluate two peer-reviewed papers about pain. Neil Pearson reviews these according to his academic standard as a university professor, then provides feedback and asks for clarifications or further details. The goal is to assist each student according to area of expertise and practice.
Completion of Part 3 + Neil Pearson’s Professional Pain Care Mentorship = Privileges and benefits of Parts 1 and 2, plus certification as a Pain Care Yoga Trainer, entitled to train and audit new PCY teachers and participate as experts in PCU educational projects and events.
PCU Trainers have proven competency in providing Pain Care Yoga in community education settings as well as in one-on-one sessions.
Part 3 was formerly called Case study Report and Research Review
Offered in two formats:
- 6 consecutive days + home study, or
- 2 three-day workshops + home study
Neil and other Pain Care Yoga facilitators offer the PCY certification course throughout Canada and internationally
Lisa and other Pain Care Yoga facilitators offer the PCY certification course in the USA
Certification fees – $1200 (full registration, prepaid)
Registrants are encouraged to sign up for the complete program. Registrations will prioritize full registrants and those who previously completed individual PCY trainings. Stand-alone registrations are possible – please inquire by email.